Sunday, February 10, 2008

So cheesy


The more technology (and stress for that matter) creeps into my life, the more I look for a simpler life. I learned knitting as a way to de-compress from my work. Then I learned spinning. Then I got very interested in bread making. Now I'm interested in making cheese. I joke with friends saying that soon they will see me beating my laundry on the banks of the East River.

So far I've made yogurt and mozzarella. I bought the book shown above along with supplies from the author who runs New England Cheesemaking Supply Co. She has a kit for 30 minute mozzarella. I was somewhat skeptical because you use a microwave. However, I made a delicious ball of fresh mozzarella. And felt very clever I might add. Here is a tutorial on making the mozzarella. I highly recommend trying it. You end up stretching the heated curds like taffy and then rolling it into a ball.

I'm not sure what kind of cheese I'm going to try next. I need to make or buy a press to make hard cheeses, so I think I'll stick with soft cheeses for a while. Now, I just need a good source for fresh milk...mooooo!

4 comments:

Edmund said...

Congratulation. Cooking, baking and I guess cheese making is fun. I would like to try after I get over my present problems. Dad

Stephanie said...

I've made mozzarella twice from that kit. The first time it was perfect, but the second time it never came together and I just ended up treating it like ricotta. I used the right kind of milk each time, but was discouraged enough that I never bothered trying again. Soon!

Theresa said...

Just found your blog via Shannon. I have really enjoyed reading it, and was sorry to read about your Grandma. She sounds like a wonderful, gentle woman, and the funny thing is that that is the vibe I got from your blog, too. You are more like her than you realize!

Eve said...

I made the mozz too! It turned out a little sour and tough so I used it grated in baked ziti. This was just after the blackout, so the milk was probably going bad.