Friday, February 22, 2008

Poetry in Stitches



Here's my new favorite sweater from the book Poetry in Stitches. I bought the book and a kit for this sweater years ago. I didn't enjoy knitting it because the row repeats were so long, I couldn't memorize them. That meant that I had to have my nose stuck in the book to look for each upcoming stitch. The glacially slow rate was killing me, so I put it down and there it sat glaring at me from my closet for years.

In a fit of spring cleaning last year, I pulled the sweater out (calling the 2" I knit a sweater is reaching a bit) and decided that this was adding to my psychic weight. I asked Mari, a former knitting student of mine, to finish it for me. She did a beautiful job and it is one of my favorite warm sweaters. It goes beautifully with the green scarf my sister made me. Lest one thinks I don't knit at all, I made the hat.

At my former fiber arts school, Urban Knitter, Mari met one of our teachers Shirley Paden. Mari instantly stood out as a star pupil with her instant grasp of new concepts as well as her lovely and insanely prolific knitting. Mari has gone on to be one of Shirley's main knitters when she's designing a project for Vogue Knitting or one of the other magazines she designs for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...That's beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. And it looks like a ton of work:)

naomi dagen bloom said...

beautiful, martha. you and the sweater et al glow. don't you feel good when you look at it--rhetorical question.

(this "open ID" stuff escapes me-- what is being asked? i retreat to gmail addy.)