Saturday, January 26, 2008

my grandma Betty



My grandma died yesterday. She was a tiny, spunky, smart woman. I had the pleasure of living with her and my grandfather for a year after I graduated from college. She lived in Chappaqua, NY in a sweet house that was kept immaculately clean. She loved her house as much for the yard as for the house. She was an avid gardener and had bountiful vegetable gardens for years upon years. She was also a nature lover. She bought day-old bread to feed the raccoons, skunks and opossums that came to her back door every night. They would scratch on her door to let her know they were out there. Her favorite place to sit was at her dining room table with a large picture window looking out onto the backyard. I don't think an animal passed through her yard without getting fed. She had many different bird feeders that were always kept well-stocked. She knew all the birds that came to eat and sometimes even named them particularly. She had a grosbeak called gorgeous george that would come right up to her window and peck until he got her attention. She would go out and feed him special treats. She would also make a whistle to let the birds know she had just replenished the feeders, and don't you know that those birds knew her voice and came flying over!

This photo was taken just over 4 years ago when I was pregnant with Lindsay. In recent years my grandmother suffered from Alzheimers. I'm happy to say that she never had to leave her beloved house. Even though she wasn't able to always name the birds that came to her window towards the end, she still enjoyed them.

To her, I owe my knowledge and love of birds and other animals. I learned gardening and taking care of houseplants from her. She called my sister and me her "nature gals" and we were proud and loved it. She will be greatly missed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi -- so sorry to hear about your grandmother. mine used to bake peanut butter cookies for the squirrels and leave them on her windowsill. The anniversary of her death was jan 3rd; my siblings and i spend the day emailing memories of her back and forth. i'm glad you have fond memories, and i am sorry for your loss.

thinking of you, cricket