Wednesday, January 16, 2008

etiquette

When did people forget their manners? I'm not talking about people who wear white after Labor Day, or some other outdated rule by Emily Post. I'm really wondering about common courtesy.

Some examples:
1. A parent in Lindsay's class invited all of the parents to her house for a wine and cheese party. We were the ONLY ones who responded to her invitation. I don't mean the only ones who said they could come. I mean the only people who even acknowledged the invitation!! I was absolutely shocked by this.

2. Last year we gave what was for us a considerable amount of money to Lindsay's teachers as holiday gifts. They never said a word of thank you to us. There was some note in the next newsletter generally thanking the parents, but there was no individual acknowledgment.

3. This year I knitted scarves for Lindsay's teachers (different teachers than last year). I spent weeks working on intricate stitch patterns for both of them. What kind of acknowledgment did they give?? Not one word. The only reason I spent the time doing this is because they have both commented/complimented my knitting in the past. That and the fact that I think they are great teachers. I am so stunned by their lack of response, I keep wanting to say something to them. Ask them if they liked the scarves. Maybe mention that I knitted them myself in case that wasn't clear.

Aargh!! When did people get so rude??

1 comment:

Eve said...

I totally agree. Common courtesy is practically a thing of the past, especially in the newly hip neighborhoods. I was always so annoyed that no one could even spare a "thank you" after I held the door open for them (and sometimes the horde that also followed making me feel like an invisible doorman). And here in Bay Ridge with an older population, there's no end to the courtesy. Ahhhh!