Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The sweet smell of childhood



Have you ever had something that transported you back to when you were a kid? It could be an old photo, a taste, a smell. For me it was this book last year. I hadn't thought of this book for at least 30 years, but when I saw it in Barnes and Noble last Christmas, I remembered having it as a kid. It had the added memory of the smells from the scratch and sniff. I seem to be thinking about smells a lot lately.

This year it was another book that transported me back. Crictor! I loved and forgot this book as I did the Christmas one. I found it in a box of Neil's old books that his mother had saved. I am thrilled to have this book back in my life. It's really sweet. I wonder if anyone else remembers either of these books.





Crictor the boa constrictor was sent as a present by the woman's son. After she identifies him as non-poisonous, she embraces him as a beloved pet. He holds her book for her as she knits him sweaters. You see him happily sporting the sweater she knit here in the snow. What better pet than one who enables and appreciates knitting??

1 comment:

Lisa said...

ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!!!

I hadn't thought of either of those in years!!!!

I wonder if the scratch n sniff is still formulated from the same recipes? Does it smell correct?