Friday, August 1, 2008

Ahoy Matey


This silly chicken thinks it's a parrot. I was sitting at my desk and the chicks were practicing flying. Louise was able to flap up to my lap and then up to my shoulder. Of course my camera was downstairs and I wasn't about to walk downstairs past the cat with a chicken on my shoulder to get a photo. So this is w/ my cell phone and makes me look about as bad as possible, but I had to capture her triumph. I'm not sold on the sensation of weird reptilian claws walking around on my shoulders and neck.

I took more photos this afternoon, and will post them shortly to make up for the awfulness of this one.

This afternoon Stephanie, who I met through her blog and who works in this neighborhood, came by to meet the chicks. We were talking about crazy chicken owners (of whom I am one), and I mentioned people who keep their chickens in their house and put diapers on them to avoid the poop problem. There are even patterns for these chicken diapers online. I swore I would never turn into one of those crazy chicken people. I still do, although I think this parrot/chicken thing is loosening my footing on the slippery slope to crazy town.

And in case you have never heard of chicken diapers, let alone laid eyes on them. Here's a visual. The straps get lost in the feathers (so I've read).



Oh, I figured out that I can take a photo w/ my computer, so here's another grainy one.

2 comments:

Eve said...

Hmm, chicken diapers huh? If I only had those for the duck. My chickens used to come up on the kitchen table and ate out of our cereal bowls with us. They must have been locked in the oven while we were out (cracked open to allow CO to escape?) -- I can't imagine my parents letting them have the run of our tenement apt all day!

Troop 2440 said...

I can't imagine how your parents kept their apartment let alone their oven clean with a bunch of chicks pooping everywhere!!

I like letting them out into the backyard so that some of the droppings go towards fertilizing the lawn and not requiring more paper towels in their cage.