Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Going on Holiday

We're leaving tonight to go to the Berkshires. Neil's sister Dani is turning 40 and his parents are flying out to celebrate. We will stay at their house while they are gone. And, yes, we're bringing the chicks with us! Their area is one of the last holdouts for high speed internet, so I won't post while we're up there. They have dial-up! Remember that? Good news is that their town is planning on getting dsl this winter!

So, I'll leave you with some beautiful pen and ink drawings of Kip Mieke Roth's. Kip made drawings of chicks growing up. Lisa and Robb have both directed me to them and they are lovely.

I brought the chicks into Lindsay's pre-school today and they were a bit hit. Lindsay was in heaven being the teacher with her friends. I brought our inflatable kiddie pool and put them in it. That kept them protected from 18 sets of very excited hands. What cracks me up about NYC is that you can walk down the street with a cage of chickens and a kiddie pool and nobody blinks an eye!
The chicks survived the visit and even showed off for the kids by flying up onto the side of the pool and strutting around. I think I am definitely securing my crazy chicken lady title!

1 comment:

naomi dagen bloom said...

somehow, martha, i think you really are my doppelganger. gee, hope that's spelled right.

people (including my children) have wondered whether bringing real hens into my life would someday happen. not a chance. kitchen composting with red wiggler worms was the height of my urban countryness. i do admire your effort--and pleasure with it.

so why don't you think about taking off on my notion of changing the traditional ending to the little red hen story? and you could do it with photos.

have a great vacation. yours, n