Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day 4 of chicks



For the chicks 4th day of amazing growth, Neil and I took them outside for a photo shoot. We put a little photo sweep backdrop down and then tried to have a picnic table and the cage to corral them in a bit. At first they were totally freaked out with me bumping their cage down our spiral staircase to the back yard. They kept very close to me, which made me feel like mama hen. Yes, these odd things really matter to me.



You can get a pretty good idea of their size here. Louise on the right is crouched down a bit, but she is definitely the smallest of the group. She's the pushy one though, so don't feel sorry for her. You can also see that their wing feathers are starting to come in through the chick fluff.



Once they got used to their surroundings, they had a blast pecking at the grass and scratching around on the ground. I'm going to take them out every nice day to let them have a little spa treatment.

We went away to Abington, PA for the weekend to visit friends who moved out of Brooklyn. Their daughter Quinlan was in daycare with Lindsay, so she is one of Lindsay's oldest friends. It was a lovely weekend of hanging out in their new house. They were crammed into a typical NYC apartment, and now their house feels like an absolute mansion. We're so happy for them, although we're going to miss having them here in Brooklyn. My upstairs neighbor watched the chicks while we were away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you got chicks!!!!!! we're out of the city for 3 weeks (and just saw your post)...i'm so excited! congrats on your growing family!

cricket

knitica said...

I have to ask, is Brooklyn zoned for chickens, or are you being totally edgy law-breaking chicken farmers? Not that there aren't illegal chickens all over the west side here in Buffalo.

Troop 2440 said...

Hens are classified as pets in NYC, so there's no limit on how many you can have. Roosters are another story. They are illegal. Noise and cock fighting I guess. I'm not such an edgy law-breaker. Darn. I'm still just a big nerd.