Sunday, January 14, 2007

No-Knead Bread

I just bought a bread machine at a stoop sale for $10 and have been somewhat obsessive about making bread lately. I was trying different kinds of breads, including sourdough-with the smelly sourdough starter in my fridge and everything. I just dumped the starter because I realized that I wasn't really enjoying the sourdough very much and I had to keep renewing the starter each week to keep it alive. So every week or so I would make another loaf of sourdough that I didn't really enjoy. I have a *very* hard time throwing anything away, even a smelly wet lump of dough in the fridge. But I overcame all obstacles and did it.

I have to say that the crumb of a loaf of bread machine bread isn't the kind of crumb I seek out from a bakery. I prefer a crunchy crust with a chewy, filled-with-holes interior. I was trying different things, such as bread flour, gluten to add to the flour, etc. when my friend Dirk mentioned a recipe for No-Knead Bread he saw in the Times. Mark Bittman went to Sullivan Street bakery, where they have the yummiest white pizza (no cheese, just chewy/rosemary/salty goodness). He got this recipe for bread, which is super easy and produces the crusty/chewy of bread I love. Once you mix the ingredients, you have to let the dough sit for about 12-18 hours, but the actual work is minimal and absolutely worth it. I've made this bread using 1 c. whole wheat flour and 1/4 c. flax seeds and it was still light and airy. Here's a one page printed version of the recipe.

2 comments:

shansays said...

I just gifted (tee-hee) some acrylic yarn to my niece!! I managed to get rid of about 12 skeins on Saturday. As far as acrylic goes it wasn't bad, but it had been taunting me forever. I can't wait to our kitchen is more set up, so that I can add baking to the list of things to torture myself with.

Shannon

Eve said...

That bread is sooo easy and delicious!

I've been holed up here in Bay Ridge dealing with this damn construction, and the guys didn't even come today. So many wasted days.

guess I should just make more bread.