Wednesday, December 5, 2007

What's next a bald eagle???



I was looking out my back window two days ago and saw something large moving in the grass. It was very hard to make out what it was because it was brown and everything in the backyard is brown right now. Besides it was behind some plants. Upon further inspection I realized it was a hawk and it was tearing away at something for its lunch. I grabbed my video camera and put it on zoom, but it was even less noticeable than w/ my own eyes. Kind of like the white bunny in the snow storm. It flapped over to a part of my backyard that I couldn't see from my window, but seemed to still be in my yard. Lindsay woke up from her nap a few minutes later, so I picked her up and quietly opened our back door. At first we didn't see it, but then it flapped away carrying something round and dark in its talons. A rat perhaps? This neighborhood has been overwhelmed with restaurants and bars and subsequently with rat sightings. I think it's a wonderful tipping of the natural scales to see hawks coming to Smith Street to dine. I went into the part of the yard where the hawk was eating earlier and saw a pile of feathers and a small piece of intestine. Probably a starling.

I'm not sure what kind of hawk it was because I really didn't get a good look, but I'm guessing it's a Cooper's hawk.

3 comments:

naomi dagen bloom said...

we see red tail hawks frequently up here in harlem. one used to hang out on a air conditioner across the way. then public housing did a major edifice fixit and the hawk was not here as often.

always stirs up the pidgeons when he/she starts zooming around. ron once watched one caught in mid-air and consumed. quite something for our urban life.

guess you've heard how unhappy us "other" blog people are with your server...window keeps getting smaller.

Eve said...

It really is nice to see "wildlife" in our backyards. It's like our nature fix. Infinitely better than living in a high-rise!

Lisa said...

wow oh wow oh wowie wow wow!