Friday, May 4, 2007

Sewing class

I've been taking a sewing class at Brooklyn General, which is a wonderful yarn store here in Brooklyn. They've been expanding their stock to include fiber for spinning, fabric and sewing supplies.

I made an A-line skirt out of the Sew U book. I bought the fabric from City Quilter.

I'll post photos of my finished skirt shortly. One of the other women in the class made her skirt out of a gorgeous fabric. I decided to make a dress out of the same fabric. I think I have the bug, because after I finish the dress I'm going to make a shirt out of the Sew U book. I can see how I'm going to have a stash of fabrics to go along with my yarn stash. Very frightening picture.

It seems that Autumn makes me want to knit and now Spring makes me want to sew. Tra la tra la.

2 comments:

Eve said...

That Sew U book is great. I've had it on my amazon wish list for a while now, just waiting for some free time to buy & sew again.

I've mostly sewn for the girls when they were little, but think my efforts are still too beginner for me to wear in public. Not enough practice since you can't really tote the machine around like you can knitting needles :-)

And yes, start making room for the sewing stash!

Troop 2440 said...

That's the fabric I got when we went to see the Yarn Harlot, Eve. The Sew U book is good, but the directions are a bit scarce. I love how she gives different ways to adapt the patterns though.

Martha