Monday, April 9, 2007

Berkshires


After spending Passover in the city, we drove up to the Berkshires to stay with Neil's parents. Lindsay is on Spring Break until the 12th. Rather than stay in Brooklyn and get caught in a rut, we decided to go to the country.

We visited friends who moved up there from Brooklyn. They have a daughter Ruby, who is one of Lindsay's good friends. We all had a nice time catching up with them. After leaving their home in Ashley Falls, MA, we drove for a minute or so out of town and saw a bobcat flying across the road. It was an amazing animal, running full speed a la National Geographic special. It did stop a second to glare at our car heading right towards it. Absolutely majestic animal. Although it was incredible to see such a beautiful animal, it was out of place where it was, which was a sad reminder of how all of the houses being built up there are displacing its habitat. I hope it finds a good new home. I think it was eating a chicken before we so rudely interrupted it.

I was talking about unusual animals with the owner of a pet store here in Brooklyn. He mentioned that there are colonies of wild parrots in Brooklyn. I can't wait to look for those guys. There's a colony at Greenwood cemetery, which is a gorgeous park-like place that I have never gone to.

3 comments:

Dez Crawford said...

GREAT Bobcat shot! I love them dearly and they are also my totem animal.

There are colonies of wild parrots in New Orleans too. At least there were before Katrina.

Eve said...

I used to get the parrots in front of my old place because of the callery pear street tree. Damn parrots take a bite of the 1/2" diameter pear and toss the rest to rot on the sidewalk. And occasionally they form a mass of tropical color on the backyard trees after the leaves are gone.

Anonymous said...

One of the most thrilling nature moments I've ever had was when the bobcat sauntered into my campsite in Texas. Robb was away, at the showers, and the cat stood between me and my camera.

I just held my breath. And we both took a long, hard look at one another.

The rangers refused to believe me.